Sunday, September 21, 2008

21 September 2008

Part II!! And quite a month it has been, too. I cannot remember a bumpier start to an academic year than we have had this year. Not sure why all the pieces seem so reluctant to blend together. There are new students, always a given in schools! - there are new teachers, which means new support for the technology that might be different from the previous school - there are new staff who need instruction in the procedures of Ramsey IFAC, so very much to do and so very little time! This year just feels tighter than I remember in the past.



The great news is that I have had three excellent books suggested to me and I am devouring them whole; Proust and the Squid was recommended by a colleague in the district and a MILI instructor, Jean Doolittle. The book expands my awareness of the process of reading and how it is strengthened and refined over time, fascinating! I think before I really thought that reading was a single goal, something I just did. This book shows me how the skill of reading expands with repetition! NPR reviewed a curiosity titled Traffic and it caught my ear. Challenging to think that we have similar situations to the streets of Greece and Rome - perhaps not very much has changed! And finally, the joy of my reading has been Ann Perry. I am not sure how I have missed her writing before but she surely fits my temperment right now! I am astounded at how much I am understanding about my grandmother through Ms. Perry's protagonist, Charlotte Pitt and the socialization of her time. Nice to know I am not through learning!



Reading is my passion and my grandchildren are my delight! Heaven's reward (or good karma) for living well. We are spending this glorious fall day together catching up on what we have each been doing in school for the past week. May you each enjoy a day of warm sunshine and happy hugs.

1 comment:

SKobilka said...

I love reading too - and I love Anne Perry books. You definitely have to read both of her series (how do you make that word plural - serieses?). I agree that things seem busier than ever before - I think it has to do with the extreme expectations that are being placed on us as teachers to be everything and everybody. I have hope that the year will get easier as time goes on...