Friday, October 3, 2008

Part IV

Using Roman numerals makes me feel as if I am Sue Grafton - will I run out of numbers before I run out of things to say? Whatever, here goes Part IV. We are in the second month of the academic year and either I am getting use to the pace or things are slowing down. Probably a function of familiarity rather than reality.

We have had conferences for twelve of the past twenty-four hours. I have always been very impressed with the skills required for effective conferencing; want to give good, clear messages and communicate concerns but do not want to startle the care-givers with "too much information." I believe having good conferences is a real skill. I love to have the students bring their parents into the media center, you can almost see a gleam in the eye because they are so proud that they know where to find their favorite books.

Grades were due last week for middle school. I teach third, fourth, and fifth plus three hours of kindergarten on Fridays and I have one hour of media technology with the seventh or eighth graders every day. We have a new program to put all of the grades on-line. The primary benefit is to give the parents access so they can stay aware of what the student is doing, with fewer surprises when the grades come home. I have really struggled with this program, I am still not comfortable with whatever it is doing. The good news is that it increases my awareness of challenges in technology, so I can be more patient with the users at school.

Went to a wonderful wedding last Saturday. Two good friends who are nothing but the very best for each other. Had the opportunity to visit with friends who helped to shape my teaching so many years ago! Shared the day with my nine-year old granddaughter - what a treat! Good company, good conversation and I did not get lost - does not get any better than that!

I have developed a photography unit for the middle-schoolers using digital still cameras and processing the photos on Photo Shop. We started this week with the story board and I think I definitely heard enthusiasm. Next week we bring out the cameras. I have the class divided into groups of two or three and we will stay in the library. Not sure how all of this will work out so I will take great notes!

Have an excellent week-end.

1 comment:

D. W-R said...

Lea,
So how is the digital photo class going?
Diane